Saturday, February 9, 2013

Don't Get Me Wrong, I Still Love Music

I've posted about how my music degree has been dragging me down, but this doesn't mean I'm completely done with music. I have it on in the background for nearly everything I do. A really great song still gives me feels I can't even name.

I'd like to share an album I came across recently that had an impact on me. I don't know if there is an album in your life that, when asked to play only one song, you can't decide because they're all so good. Bear Creek by Brandi Carlile is one of those albums to me. I first heard this song in an art gallery in Denton, Texas. The woman working in the shop showed me her favorite track and I knew I had to have this album. Every single song is so different and so wonderful. The common denominator for this album is the use of acoustic instruments. Brandi's voice is big, powerful, and a little rough around the edges. I was trained classically from the age of twelve, which means I spent a lot of time around vocal perfectionists. As impressive as a beautiful, perfect classical performance can be, I find more beauty and feeling in voice with a rougher, more raw sound.

Some of my favorite moments on the album:


Favorite Vocal Moments:
Track 2: Raise Hell. This track really shows the power in Brandi's voice. I absolutely love the rugged sound of the instrumentation and her voice.
Track 8: I'll Still Be There: The buildup in this song is what really gets me. There's a point near the end of the song that reminds me of a drop in electronic music, where everything stops for a beat or two and comes back in more powerful than before. It's one of those things that I want to make sure someone hears on their first listen.
Track 11: Rise Again: I love how this song had a much more alternative sound than any of the other songs on this album. I really repsect Not to mention the impressive range. This woman's voice is serious. She can do all kinds of things that I only wish I could.


Favorite Lyrics:
I mean, really, every song's lyrics are fantastic. But these really stuck out to me.
Track 2: Raise Hell: "You have mind to keep my quiet and although you can try, better men have hit their knees and bigger men have died." My thought the first time I heard this: "HELL YES."
Track 4: That Wasn't Me: In the last chorus, she switches up some of the lyrics:
"Do I make myself a blessing to everyone I meet? 
When you fall, I will get you on your feet. 
Do I spend time with my family?
Did it show when I was weak?
When that's what you see, that will be me."
I don't know if this was meant as a personal mission statement, but doesn't it make an awesome one? I mean, I'd love it if everyone I knew thought I was humble, loving, and supportive. 
Track 6: 100: "When you close your eyes at night and you rise above your life..." I just think this is an awesome way of describing sleeping. I never would have thought of that. Kudos on your creativity, Brandi! 

So, sometimes, I nerd out and write blogs about music I like. I hope you enjoyed it and I really hope you give her a listen. She's quite talented indeed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment