Monday, March 28, 2016

BabyCat, PartyCat, BirthdayCat, TummyFlap

It's my favorite day of the year! The anniversary of when my little demon--err, kitten decided to grace the earth--and the Internet--with his presence. I can't believe he's turning FIVE today. FIVE YEARS of terror, indifference, and a very convoluted idea of "love". Although I didn't adopt him until he was 2 months old, here's a glimpse of our story:

Nearly five years ago, a friend of a friend (Chris) needed people to take some precious kittens off his hands. When I decided I was going to have one of them, there were 2 boys left: Sheldon and his adorable ginger brother. Initially, I wanted the lovely little ginger tabby so I went to Chris's house to meet my new baby. When I got there, the little ginger baby ran and hid under a pillow fort. It made me sad because I so desperately wanted a cat that would be social and cuddly. But then a tiny brown tabby walked right up to me and started to play. Sheldon chose me. Probably because he had some sort of kitten-sense that I am literally the only human in existence that has the patience to love him and live under his tyrannical rule. I am honored to have been chosen by this pin-headed floof and I will love and obey him forever.

I thought Sheldon would be the sweet, cuddly kitten of my dreams but he quickly proved to me that he was the opposite. As a kitten, Sheldon was.. well.. sharp. A fuzzy sack full of needles constantly hurling himself at my face. I tried to teach him that claws don't have to be extended at all times, but discipline was lost on this one. My very patient roommate, Whitney, and I even bought tiny little water guns to hide strategically around our loft. When we would squirt the little DevilCat, he'd look at us as if to say "What's that supposed to do? Scare me? No no no, humans. I am in charge here". Whitney and I gave him so many nicknames, our favorite being "Chupacabra Kitty".

In spite of being an evil tyrant, Sheldon does have a sweet side. When he was teeny tiny, bedtime was always a battle. He would try to murder me for at least 10 minutes and I'd have to hide under my quilt until he got it out of his system. Then, he would curl up on my chest and purr louder than I've ever heard a cat purr before. I live for those short, fleeting moments of kitten love.

Another favorite memory of Sheldon's first year of life is all the songs that Whitney and I made up about Sheldon (although I think the majority of the credit goes to Whitney). Here are my favorites:

"SheldonCat"
Sheldon Cat!
Sheldon Cat!
He is cute!
HE'S A CAT!!!!

"The BabyCat Song"
BabyCat, you cry a lot
BabyCat, you whine a lot
BabyCat! BabyCat!

BabyCat, you fight a lot
BabyCat, you scratch a lot
BabyCat! BabyCat!

"You're Not a Full-Sized Cat Just Yet"
You're not a full-sized cat just yet,
Cat just yet, cat just yet!
You're not a full-sized cat just yet,
You're BabyCat!

As he's grown older, Sheldon has chilled out. He still goes into murderous fits of rage every now and then, but he's got a pretty significant tummyflap that keeps him from performing any strenuous physical activity. He cuddles more and gives me lots of kitty kisses and does lots of stupid stuff to keep me entertained. I am so glad that this strange, pear-shaped, pin-headed, poop-headed cat chose me to be his human. Happy Birthday, you little butthead. Enjoy the wet food and the toy you will likely never touch. I love you more than I ever thought I could love anything.


Just for funz, here's a list of all the nicknames this dummy has been given over the years:

SheldonCat
Sheldo
Sheldorp
Shelderp
Sheldonica
BabyCat
Chupacabra Kitty
Small Thing
PartyCat
Tummy Flap
Little Pear
ButtholeCat
Pin Head
PoopHead
Boobalah
FatFat
DemonCat
DevilCat
Floof
Floof-Poof















BabyCat

No comments:

Post a Comment